Call for applications for Five Post-doctoral Fellowships
Call for applications for Five Post-doctoral Fellowships in Software Engineering/Informatics tenable at Makerere
|Project Title:||BRIGHT: Building Research Capacity in Innovative Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) for Sustainable Socio-economic Growth in Uganda.|
|Start date:||Three will start in July 2016 and two in July 2017|
|Fellowship:||Each post-doctoral fellow will receive a grant of 140,000 SEK. The grant is expected to provide support for research costs, minor equipment, regional/international conferences, field study, and publications.|
Programme outline in brief
The research-training programme is funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The programme is a collaboration of four institutions in Uganda and Sweden: Makerere University (Mak), Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), University of Gothenburg (UGOT), and Chalmers University of Technology (Chalmers) will jointly train five post-doctoral researchers. The aim of the programme is to build research capacity in innovative Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) for sustainable economic growth in Uganda. Health and education are the two application domains that will be main focus areas.
We are seeking five highly motivated persons for post-doctoral research in Software Engineering or Informatics. You must have a PhD degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or in Informatics, or in an equivalent subject. In addition to the post-doctoral research, the responsibilities of a post-doc also include advising Master and PhD students in the BRIGHT project, and actively participating in the writing of new research grants for the sustainability of the BRIGHT project. Other responsibilities will include networking with industry and communities.
- The post-doctoral candidates will be recruited based on excellence in scientific accomplishment and the quality of the proposed research project. Alignment of the proposed research with the project objectives, themes and PhD researchers will be highly regarded.
- Competent faculty at UGOT, Chalmers and Mak will jointly perform reviewing and interviewing of the applications.
- Special recruitment effort will be made to ensure gender equality within the programme.
- The applicant must be a staff member of the School of Computing & Makerere University or Institute of Computer Science, Mbarara University
- Applicants should preferably have completed their PhD degree within the last 5 years.
The application must be written in English and it must include two separate documents plus a copy of the applicant’s PhD thesis. Applications will be handled electronically.
The 1st document shall include:
- a short cover letter with a motivation that describes how the applicant meets the selection criteria (max. two A4 pages), and
- A curriculum vitae with the list of publications
- PhD certificate
- evidence of employment at Mak or MUST
- at least two recommendation letters from persons that are familiar with the applicant’s qualifications,
The 2nd document shall include:
- a proposal for a research topic including approach and research plan (max. four A4 pages),
- name(s) of the proposed academic promoter at Mak and/or a collaborating Swedish University with a detailed letter of support
- a copy of the PhD thesis
- other documents deemed important by the applicant
- Detailed information about the application for the fellowship can be obtained from the project website www.bright.ug
- Electronic submission of application for the fellowship with supporting documents should be sent to the Director, Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, Makerere University; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Copy to: email@example.com;
- All files should be in commonly accessible formats (such as pdf or word).
- Application deadline is 15th April 2016 and interviews (where applicable) will be conducted 20th to 29th April, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
For further information contact:
Prof. Dr.Michel R.V. Chaudron Email:firstname.lastname@example.org or
Associate Prof. Engineer Bainomugisha Email:email@example.com
Project website: www.bright.ug